The state Capitol. (Ned Oliver/ Virginia Mercury)
• “The father of a Virginia student sexually assaulted in her high school bathroom has been pardoned after his arrest two years ago protesting a school board meeting became a flashpoint in the conservative push to increase parental involvement in public education.”—Associated Press
• Spotsylvania schools have rolled out a form in line with new state transgender student model policies that parents must use to let their child be called by a name other than their legal one or use a bathroom or locker room associated with their preferred gender identification.—Free Lance-Star
• Parents and advocates are continuing to argue that Virginia’s special education system is broken, with parents almost never prevailing over the state in complaints about the services their child is receiving.—Richmond Times-Dispatch
• Roanoke’s former mayor is the latest in a string of Democratic officials in Southwest Virginia who have switched parties to become Republicans.—Cardinal News
• Warren County’s school board is ending its relationship with the Virginia School Boards Association, saying it doesn’t believe the group is representing its interests and values well.—Northern Virginia Daily
GET THE MORNING HEADLINES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.