The state Capitol. (Ned Oliver/ Virginia Mercury)
• An F-16 pilot who intercepted a small plane that crashed in Virginia said the pilot appeared to be slumped over prior to the crash.The head of a Florida-based company that owns the plane said his daughter, his 2-year-old granddaughter and a nanny were also onboard and did not survive.—Washington Post, New York Times
• “In primary between legendary Virginia Democrats, ‘the loser goes home’”—Washington Post
• “The mother of the 6-year-old student who shot his teacher at Richneck Elementary School earlier this year has been charged in federal court with felony gun charges related to marijuana use.” Her attorney says she’s expected to plead guilty to the charges under a plea agreement.—Virginian-Pilot
• A new policing model helped drive a significant reduction in violent crime in Danville, whose 17 murders in 2016 had fallen to seven by 2022.—Cardinal News
• Gov. Glenn Youngkin re-upped his calls for state lawmakers to finish their overdue budget negotiations and produce a deal.—WRIC
GET THE MORNING HEADLINES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.