The state Capitol. (Ned Oliver/ Virginia Mercury)
• Members of the University of Virginia’s Board of Visitors floated the idea of gathering data on the political viewpoints and religious affiliations of faculty and students.—Daily Progress
• Dinwiddie County Commonwealth’s Attorney Ann Baskervill, who is leading the prosecution against several sheriff’s deputies and hospital workers involved in the death of Irvo Otieno, is resigning from the job June 20. Her successor is expected to take up the high-profile case.—Richmond Times-Dispatch
• The chief diversity officer at Virginia Military Institute quit amid the military school’s ongoing battle over culture changes opposed by conservative-leaning alumni.—Washington Post
• A private plane crashed in Nelson County Sunday after failing to respond to authorities, who then scrambled fighter jets from Joint Base Andrews, causing a sonic boom heard throughout the DC area.—Washington Post
• Some in the tiny Southside Virginia community of Ebony are fighting to block the construction of a Dollar General store in the name of preserving the area’s “country” vibe.—New York Times
GET THE MORNING HEADLINES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.