The state Capitol. (Ned Oliver/ Virginia Mercury)
• The Virginia Press Association says it’s investigating whether a student newspaper at VMI should’ve been given a prestigious journalism award for its coverage of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) initiatives amid allegations the paper is partially controlled by alumni who oppose DEI.—Washington Post
• “Virginia Democrats Tim Kaine and Jennifer McClellan aren’t happy with the White House for not alerting them of the Mountain Valley Pipeline project’s inclusion in the debt ceiling deal — and they’re not hiding it.”—POLITICO
• A Virginia man was arrested in the fatal shooting of a city councilwoman in New Jersey. The two reportedly knew each other through a church.—New York Times
• Adam Theo, a former candidate for the Arlington County Board of Supervisors, said he wants restorative justice and no jail time for a man who allegedly beat him after he tried to intervene in a domestic assault.—ARLNow
• Attorney General Jason Miyares says he’s settled his probe into a Fairfax County middle school’s college prep program after the school stopped sending out communications encouraging specific racial groups to apply.—FOX 5
GET THE MORNING HEADLINES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.