NEWS TO KNOW
Our daily roundup of headlines from Virginia and elsewhere.
• The battle for the House of Delegates has seen “an unusual amount of interest” this year, with 91 of 100 seats being contested.—Washington Post
• At an invitation-only “tele-rally” that was closed to the media and general public, former President Donald Trump urged voters to support Youngkin. The secretive rally was “a nod to the risks the former president’s involvement poses in a state he lost last year by 10 points.”—Washington Post
• Roughly 100 medical staff and associates at Mary Washington Healthcare in Fredericksburg haven’t gotten a COVID-19 vaccine and “will be out of a job if they don’t provide the needed paperwork in two weeks.” More than 94 percent of workers have met the requirement.—Free Lance-Star
• Nurses at VCU Health in Richmond threatened a walkout over pay.—Richmond Times-Dispatch
• A machete-wielding man tried to steal wedding rings from a Virginia Beach Walmart.—WAVY
• Firefighters in Petersburg rescued a woman who fell 20 feet into an exposed tunnel.—CBS6
• At least six cannonballs have been discovered since work on expanding the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel began. “It’s the construction folks out in the field that are finding these. Their construction equipment is getting jammed up on these cannonballs,” a VDOT official said.—Virginian-Pilot
• An 8-year-old boy from Danville was reunited with his teddy bear after leaving it on a plane, but not before the stuffed animal logged some air miles. “Teddy earned his wings,” said the flight attendant who returned the bear.—Danville Register & Bee
GET THE MORNING HEADLINES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.