The state Capitol. (Ned Oliver/ Virginia Mercury)
• Buckingham County Public Schools were among many school divisions in the Northeast to dismiss students early or otherwise modify instruction in response to an intense heatwave.—Associated Press
• The Marine Corps’ Quantico base is struggling to fill job openings. “You name it, we’re getting a shortage in it.”—InsideNoVa
• “As seniors on fixed incomes are struggling to afford to take care of themselves, adult protective services investigations are dramatically on the rise in every social services department in Central Virginia.”—WTVR
• A judge has set a trial date for a lawsuit in which a Hopewell woman claims a city councilor took money to pay child support from a GoFundMe account he set up for her murdered child. The councilor denies the allegations.—Progress-Index
• Stores that offer customers marijuana as gifts accompanying other purchases or through club-style memberships are proliferating across Virginia. Many groups and officials say that’s because of the legal gray area produced by the state’s legalization of marijuana but continued lack of legal sales.—Cardinal News
GET THE MORNING HEADLINES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.