Origin of bare breast on state flag revealed and more Va. headlines
The state Capitol. (Ned Oliver/ Virginia Mercury)
• Former congressman Tom Garrett won the GOP nomination for a central and Southside Virginia seat in the House of Delegates five years after he stepped down from the U.S. House of Representatives to deal with alcoholism.—Cardinal News
• Vape and smoke shops are everywhere in Virginia. Given the continued absence of recreational pot dispensaries, some stores appear to be offering real-deal marijuana.—Daily Press
• Former Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe recently visited an active war zone in Ukraine, calling it a “fact-finding mission.”—Washington Post
• Reports of threatening language in a progressive Facebook group called “Loudoun Love Warriors” are fueling more political controversy in Loudoun County.—Washington Post
• “How the Virginia flag came to have an exposed breast on it.”—Virginian-Pilot
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.