NEWS TO KNOW
Our daily roundup of headlines from Virginia and elsewhere.
• Gov. Ralph Northam said COVID-19 is “moderately contained” in Virginia but that he’s not planning to ease any restrictions on gatherings and business operations ahead of the holiday weekend. “I understand from a business perspective the importance of Labor Day, but we have come too far to go back.”—Associated Press
• JMU asked students to go home and announced it’s temporarily transitioning to online-only instruction after a surge in coronavirus infections last week brought the school’s case count to more than 500. School leaders said they’d reevaluate whether to allow students to return at the end of the month.—Daily News-Record
• Northam said he would not follow new federal guidance that calls for teachers to remain in classrooms after being exposed to COVID-19. He also rejected a new CDC directive not to test people who were in close contact with an infected person.—The Roanoke Times
• “A seafood restaurant in Hanover County that had defied state-ordered COVID-19 safety measures and operated without a license was closed Tuesday morning after a judge’s temporary restraining order.”—Richmond Times-Dispatch
• A Portsmouth police sergeant was the subject of an internal investigation for a heated email criticizing Sen. Louise Lucas at the time he brought charges against her and 12 other prominent residents alleging a conspiracy to destroy a Confederate monument.—HuffPost
• A Richmond judge dismissed a lawsuit filed by Democrats aimed at keeping Republicans Nick Freitas and Bob Good off the ballot in November because they filed election paperwork late.—Richmond Times-Dispatch
• “A Northern Virginia congressman and the chair of the Arlington County Board wrote to President Trump’s chief of staff and campaign manager Tuesday, expressing concern that the president and vice president had attended events in Arlington without appearing to follow Virginia law on wearing masks and social distancing.”—Washington Post
• Virginia is one of a handful of states considering sending all residents an alert asking them to turn on a COVID-19 exposure notification on their phone. Currently residents have to seek out the state’s app.—New York Times
Correction: An earlier version of this roundup misstated the name of a Republican congressional candidate Bob Good.