The state Capitol. (Ned Oliver/ Virginia Mercury)
• The Newport News School Board has scheduled a vote tonight on the potential firing of Superintendent George Parker after his administration came under intense criticism over the shooting of a first-grade teacher by a 6-year-old student.—Daily Press
• The Republican-led House of Delegates passed several key elements of Gov. Glenn Youngkin’s latest round of proposed tax cuts. But the bills will face a tougher crowd in the Democratic Senate.—Richmond Times-Dispatch
• Rep. Abigail Spanberger, D-Henrico, is one of several congressional members leaving the centrist Blue Dog Coalition amid a dispute over a potential rebranding that “would have helped shed the group’s reputation as a socially moderate, Southern ‘boys’ club.”—POLITICO
• Myrna Morrissey, the apparently estranged wife of Sen. Joe Morrissey, D-Richmond, asked for a different judge to be appointed to oversee their family dispute due to her husband’s status as a lawmaker who holds sway over the appointment of judges.—Richmond Times-Dispatch
• The Chesterfield Observer, a weekly newspaper focused on the Richmond region’s largest county, is shutting down after 27 years in print.—Style Weekly
GET THE MORNING HEADLINES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.