The state Capitol. (Ned Oliver/ Virginia Mercury)
• State Sen. Joe Morrissey, D-Henrico, was banned from the Henrico County jail for 90 days after the local sheriff accused him of threatening her staff in an incident that took place over the weekend. Sheriff Alisa Gregory said Morrissey brought children with him and left them unattended while he visited a client.—Richmond Times-Dispatch
• “The fire that decimated the Spirit of Norfolk last year originated from the port side engine of the ship and was fueled by combustible material near the engine,” according to testimony at public hearings that began Tuesday.—Virginian-Pilot
• A JV girls’ basketball coach in Portsmouth was fired after allegedly suiting up and playing in a game herself.—WTKR
• Monica Gary, a former stripper turned pastor and mother of seven, says she’s running for the Virginia Senate as an independent uniter who can help the state get past partisan division.—FOX5
• The state Senate approved a bill tightening procurement rules for Virginia’s tourism agency after a controversy over the selection of Gov. Glenn Youngkin’s political ad firm for a tourism video project.—Associated Press
GET THE MORNING HEADLINES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.