The state Capitol. (Ned Oliver/ Virginia Mercury)
• Richmond police said the alleged gunman who opened fire at a high school graduation in the heart of Virginia’s capital targeted the 18-year-old graduate who was killed as part of a long-running dispute between the two young men.—Associated Press
• Democrats blasted Republican Lt. Gov. Winsome Sears, a strong gun rights supporter, for appearing at the scene of the shooting and blaming the violence in Richmond on gangs and ineffective local leaders.—WRIC
• D-Day veterans were applauded at a ceremony in Bedford for the 79th anniversary of the Allied invasion of German-occupied France.—News & Advance
• The pilot of the small plane that crashed in Virginia this week was “an experienced, safety-focused former airline captain.”—Washington Post
• Richmond officials are moving forward with a second attempt to win voters’ approval for a casino in the city.—VPM
GET THE MORNING HEADLINES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.