The state Capitol. (Ned Oliver/ Virginia Mercury)
• Rivers Casino Portsmouth, the state’s first permanent casino, officially opened its doors to the public on Monday morning.—WAVY
• A federal judge threw out a $10 million wrongful termination and discrimination lawsuit against the city of Charlottesville filed by the city’s former police chief.—Daily Progress
• A state board that oversees jails is refusing to release records related to the Richmond jail, where four inmates have died in less than a year.—WTVR
• Paleontologists are still working on an ancient cat skeleton discovered in a Virginia cave.—Cardinal News
• The most popular names for Virginia babies born in 2022 were Noah and Charlotte, according to new birth data.—Richmond Times-Dispatch
GET THE MORNING HEADLINES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.