NEWS TO KNOW
Our daily roundup of headlines from Virginia and elsewhere.
• A massive gun show planned at the Dulles Expo Center has been cancelled after a judge rejected organizers’ arguments it should be allowed to go on despite Virginia’s COVID-19 restrictions.—Associated Press
• Health officials suspended a permit for a Christian day care in Radford for refusing to follow COVID-19 guidelines. The pastor called the virus a “hoax” intended to bring about an “anti-Christ Kingdom on earth.”—Washington Post
• A women’s basketball player at Virginia Wesleyan University says she was dismissed from the school over an off-campus Thanksgiving gathering that drew 13 people. Other players have been kicked out of on-campus housing.—Virginian-Pilot
• Two tree sitters protesting the Mountain Valley Pipeline will be fined $500 per day after a judge found them in contempt of court for refusing an order to come down.—Roanoke Times
• An Arlington chemistry teacher has been “relieved of teaching duties” over a fill-in-the-blank question that invoked the George Floyd case to try to get students to answer “neon.”—Washington Post
• The Democratic Party of Virginia is calling for the ouster of Richmond’s registrar over her handling of recent elections. She says she’s not quitting.—Richmond Times-Dispatch
• A Richmond-area high school student was suspended after showing Black Lives Matter imagery on his screen during virtual classes. The ACLU of Virginia has taken up his case on free speech grounds.—Richmond Times-Dispatch
• A new exhibit at Colonial Williamsburg shows how early maps used imagery like “exotic waterfalls and lush vegetation, rivers rimmed with prized beaver and quaint Indigenous people tilling fertile farms” to propagandize for exploration.—Daily Press
• Tyler Whitley, a longtime Virginia politics reporter for The Richmond News Leader and the Richmond Times-Dispatch, has died at 83.—Richmond Times-Dispatch
Sign up here to get these headlines and the Mercury’s original reporting delivered to your inbox daily in News to Know, our free newsletter.