The state Capitol. (Ned Oliver/ Virginia Mercury)
• Deja Taylor, whose six-year-old son shot and seriously wounded a Newport News teacher in January, was sentenced to 21 months in prison for using marijuana while owning a gun.—WTOP
• “Northern Virginia state Sen. Scott Surovell will be the next majority leader of the Virginia State Senate, after defeating the Peninsula’s Mamie Locke for the position in a vote on Wednesday.”—WAVY
• A week after being elected to another General Assembly term, Del. John McGuire, R-Goochland, announced he would challenge Rep. Bob Good, R-Campbell, for the 2024 Republican nomination in the 5th Congressional District and pledged to support the reelection of former Pres. Donald Trump. —Cardinal News
• The city of Alexandria is suing several pharmaceutical companies and distributors in federal court, alleging they conspired to repeatedly raise insulin prices at the expense of diabetes patients.—WUSA
• A Virginia Tech senior majoring in political science correctly predicted the results of all 140 General Assembly races. —WVEC
GET THE MORNING HEADLINES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.