The state Capitol. (Ned Oliver/ Virginia Mercury)
• Three University of Virginia football players were killed in a shooting Sunday night allegedly committed by a former member of the team. The suspect, Christopher Darnell Jones Jr., was taken into custody Monday morning outside Richmond and charged with murder. Two other victims remain hospitalized.—Washington Post
• The Richmond Times-Dispatch published a profile of Jones when he graduated from Petersburg High School four years ago, painting a portrait of a young man who had seemed to be on the verge of overcoming a troubled upbringing marked by “a fractured family, school fighting and suspensions.”—Richmond Times-Dispatch
• Parents, students and Charlottesville leaders were stunned by the shooting as the city turned into a “ghost town” before the suspect was caught. “There was no traffic and more police than pedestrians—pretty eerie feeling on a Monday morning in November.”—Daily Progress
• Former President Donald Trump called Virginia Lt. Gov. Winsome Earle-Sears a “phony” after she said she wouldn’t vote for him in 2024 and called for the GOP to move on with new leaders.—Newsweek
• Outdoorsmen from Southwest Virginia are trying to separate the reality and myth of mountainous hunts for “mind-sharpening” wild ginseng. TV shows that portray people finding several pounds at once, says Mike Reed, are fake or “nuttier than fruitcakes.”—Bristol Herald Courier
GET THE MORNING HEADLINES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.