The state Capitol. (Ned Oliver/ Virginia Mercury)
• Pat Robertson, the Virginia-based founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network and former presidential candidate, died Thursday at 93.—Associated Press
• “This weekend marks the 60th anniversary of Bloody Monday, the day Danville’s civil rights protesters were most violently confronted by the police during a long summer of peaceful protests.”—Cardinal News
• The Virginia Department of Education released an overdue report on plans to improve public schools.—WVEC
• Part of the Blue Ridge Parkway that was closed three years ago due to a landslide has reopened to traffic.—Roanoke Times
• A Virginia teenager created a customized American Girl doll for a toddler born without thumbs.—Free Lance-Star
GET THE MORNING HEADLINES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.