CCO Creative Commons via Pixabay.
It’s Election Day, and you’ve probably already made up your mind.
But if you’d like to brush up on the candidates and the issues on the ballot in Virginia today, here are some links to the Mercury’s coverage over the past several months:
The four congressional races seen as most competitive:
- The 2nd District race, a battle of Navy veterans, pits Democrat Elaine Luria against incumbent U.S. Rep. Scott Taylor, a Virginia Beach Republican.
- A rough-and-tumble race for the open 5th District seat is being contested by Democrat Leslie Cockburn and Republican Denver Riggleman.
- In Northern Virginia, U.S. Rep. Barbara Comstock, among the most vulnerable Republicans in the nation, is hoping to hold off a challenge from Democratic State Sen. Jennifer Wexton.
- U.S. Rep. Dave Brat, the Republican who scored a historic upset over Eric Cantor four years ago, is fighting to keep his seat in the face of a strong challenge from Democrat Abigail Spanberger, a former CIA officer.
Check out the other Virginia congressional races here.
There are also two constitutional amendments on the ballot:
- One would give local governments the authority to provide partial real estate tax exemptions to people who make flooding resiliency improvements like raising buildings or fortifying shorelines.
- The other deals with property tax exemptions for spouses of deceased veterans.
Libertarians hoping to make a dent:
Virginia Libertarians are hoping to strike a blow against the two-party system this fall by capturing 10 percent of the vote in the U.S. Senate race.
Corey Stewart’s longshot bid to unseat U.S. Sen. Tim Kaine:
Kaine had raised more than $20 million as of last month while Stewart’s Senate campaign was able to pull in just over $2 million.
Check out all of our 2018 election coverage here.
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.